Thursday, March 5, 2009

Passing through February



Hoping to continue the new tradition of giving monthly updates on the blog, I offer up this one more. February passed with many experiences that continue to teach me what is valuable in life. I will first offer the facts and then a brief interpretation in closing.

My indoor track season opened and closed almost entirely in the month of February; but despite its short duration I found tremendous satisfaction in getting out and competing. Running the mile, then the 3k followed by the mile again I posted a second and third place finish with the fastest time being a 4:49 in the mile. I ran a 9:41 in the 3k. Training less than 40 miles a week, and with continual pain in the ankles, I felt pretty good about these performances. I just wanted to compete, and I found that desire was met in the fullest. The bursitis continues to improve as I work with the doctors and trainers while getting back in shape.

In terms of social events and gatherings, Cousin Tom was here in Chicago and took the time out of a Saturday afternoon for us to go eat some delicious steak at the Weber Grill. It was amazing. It was a beautiful, warm Saturday, and with a familiar face and stimulating conversation, there wasn't one thing amiss. On another weekend I also managed to meet up with friends from high school at the Art Institute; fortunately I had a travel partner this time so I didn't fear getting mugged and I had the wits about me to keep a guy from stealing my camera. The Art Institute had incredible galleries and I was amazed at the variety and richness of each famous work of art there presented. I also made it out to a performance by the Chicago Symphony at the Orchestra Center. These opportunities have been tremendous.

Finally, the academics. I continue to be challenged in the way I conceive the world. Reading Augustine's Confessions or Dante's Inferno, Rousseau and the Scriptures, I find myself asking more questions than I can find answers sometimes. Staying on top of the work load and dealing with the Bursitis I believe has humbled me more than anything during February and taught with greater force the meaning of endurance. But I love the work that I am engaged in and appreciate all of the support I have received. I continue my preparations for the mission in which hopefully, by the end of March, I will have my mission call. Many thanks and much love to all the family.

Paul Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment