Monday, February 2, 2009

My January


January has been a good month. I anticipated that Chicago winters could be brutal, but I've been pleasantly surprised. A couple days brought really cold temperatures, but the sun keeps shining, there is little snow, and generally speaking temperatures stay tolerable. I continue the adjustment of living away from family and for the first time I've caught myself considering Chicago a second home.

Classes continue to bring enjoyment. Two of my courses allow for close reading of Aristotle, Hobbes and Locke. I also continue to prepare for the mission by actively engaging in scriptural studies...Elder Oaks made a comment once about the great opportunity it is to be able to read Hobbes at the same time one is studying the scriptures; My secular studies greatly enhance my spiritual studies as well as the reverse. And so we see the Ivory tower does sink on occasion to the level of common experience. It is a lot of work but I continue to try and get the most out of it.

January, however, has also proved a difficult month in terms of running. I discovered I have bursitis in the ankles. I have chosen to continue to train and I was actually able to race in an indoor meet; 4:49 in the mile! The joy I felt at being able to compete was unspeakable. I was 2nd in my Section. Even if the pain doesn't disappear, I know I can always give it my best effort.

Some of the small things I have enjoyed doing include listening to a concert pianist play on campus, going out with fellow LDS undergraduates, and participating in institute. I've learned a lot living away from family and am grateful for all the support they have given me. I hope the rest of the academic year continues to open up opportunities for growth and exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment